Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Preparations - HK Style

It struck me today as I started to work on my final list for Christmas (eight sleeps until Sarah and Chris arrive!) that my preparations may be similar to most years in Canada, but the method by which I do them is very different.  I am still seeking the turkey (found one today!), whipped cream and pumpkin (bought early last week!) as usual, and the search for the perfect gifts continue as they have every year.  There is no snow (which has happened a few times in Canada), and though not "cold" by Canadian standards, it is a welcomed 18 degrees and sunny, much cooler than the rest of the year. 

What struck me was that I was not riding in a car, driving from mall to mall, store to store, fighting to find a parking spot.  I thought about my next week of preparations and decided to share how I am getting around with you.  We have settled into life in Hong Kong so well we seem to think our transportation methods are the norm...well, maybe the norm here, but not in other parts of the world.  So over the next week or so I will update you on how I am getting around, and sharing some of the Christmas sights of Hong Kong with you.  We will experience preparations, HK style, together!

Today I needed to head to Kowloon.  We live on Hong Kong Island, and Kowloon is on the mainland but still part of Hong Kong itself.  Though you can get there by MTR (Mass Transportation Rail) or bus through the underwater tunnel, the best way is by Star Ferry.  The ride costs around thirty cents Canadian one way....really!  The Star Ferry has been in existence since 1888 when the trip from Pedder's Wharf (now on reclaimed land, but part of Central) to Tsim Sha Tsui left every 40 minutes. (The outfits the crew/sailors' wear look like they are from the 1880's)  Today the ferry leaves Central to Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon (this is what I took) approximately every seven to ten minutes depending on the time of day.  Until 1978 this was the only way to cross from the island to the mainland, and only WWII and the occupation by the Japanese has stopped the ferries from running.

This seven minute trip dock to dock, depending on how many other boats they have to go around, is a joy - so peaceful, so beautiful.  Hong Kong people tend to read, stare, play on their smart phones while the tourists are easy to spot taking a thousand pictures and posing in front of the skyline.  I never tire of the view, and take the ferry whenever I have any excuse to.

So - sit back, enjoy the break from fighting car traffic, and enjoy this short video of some of the ride I took on the ferry today...

More to share in the next day or two as preparations continue!
Miss you all as this joyful season approaches,
Linda (and Jeff)


No comments:

Post a Comment