Thursday, June 23, 2011

A Tourist in Tokyo

Once again I, Linda, was fortunate enough to travel with my hard working husband, Jeff, as he headed to Tokyo the week before I came to Canada.  (As an aside, many thanks to all of our dear friends who took the time to catch up over coffee, breakfast, lunch, supper, tea, etc....I treasure every moment with you all...but not the pounds I put on!).  Back to Tokyo - is it revealing of my personality that I went to Tokyo without any concerns when others we know would not go?  You may chuckle if you wish....  I thought I would go and help out the economy which is struggling in so many ways.

Before we headed to Tokyo, I was asked by a friend what it was like to be a tourist by yourself. She became single last year after a 25 year relationship, and cannot bring herself to travel around by herself.  My quick answer was that it took me a long time to get used to it, and it can be lonely, but I promised to further reflect on her question as I was sightseeing in Tokyo on my own.  What do you think?  Have you been a tourist on your own?  Would you?  Could you?  Think about that while I show you some highlights from Tokyo, and then I will share where I am in my own reflection of this excellent question.

Meiji Jingu

This is a Shinto shrine, Shinto being Japan's ancient original religion....a religion with no founder, no holy book, no concept of religious conversion - just values like harmony with nature and sincere hearts (magokoro). Interesting, eh? This shrine was built in 1920 for the divine souls of Emperor Meiji and Empress Shoken.  He was the 112nd emperor of Japan (1852-1912).  He opened Japan to the world and introduced some western ways, yet retained Japanese identity.  Though the area was destroyed during WWII, it has been completely restored like the original (including 100,000 trees).  It is an immense wooded area in the middle of the city with shrine buildings in the centre and with many trails that people seem to use to break up the hectic pace of their daily commute and lives in Tokyo. 

The peace and tranquillity is kept because no machinery is used...here is how the keep the numerous pathways clear of the uncountable leaves that fall...seriously, how long would this take with broom only?




This is the main worship building in the centre of Meiji Jingu.  Here people pay their respect to the emperor and empress, and bring their wishes to be heard. The tree on the right has many wooden signs hung on it, and for 500 yen a priest will present your gratitude and your wishes during the morning ceremony, and hang it on the tree.  Ah, rituals for and to dead royalty.....
As I continued to wander this very peaceful area, I realized one advantage of being a solo tourist...this was completely at my pace, and if I want to wander each path (well, actually get sort of lost and have to wander each path), then I will!  It also allows me the chance to play with my micro lense some more without people with me getting bored!



Senso-Ji

This temple area enshrines a golden image of Kannon, the Buddhist goddess of Mercy found in a nearby river in 628.  It actually is not on display, placed away from public view over 1000 years ago. Unlike the peace of Meiji Jingu, this place is noisy, crowded and very full of buildings and cement.  You enter through a lane way of little shops - great place to buy things from traditional kimonos and wigs to plastic swords!
What struck me here was the numerous ways people seek out a better future by performing rituals at this temple compound. At the front of the main temple is a giant cauldron always with burning incense. The smoke is said to give you good health, so people stop and rub the smoke on their faces and clothes. I guess that is cheaper than seeing a doctor regularly!
Further on, in the main temple, people throw in coins, bow twice, clap their hands twice and then bow again.  This is their worship of Kannon, the goddess of mercy, in hopes that she will show her mercy to them.  People seem to drop into the temple to do this in their daily commute. (ah, mercy, a gift that you cannot earn but is given freely by God)

If it is just plain old luck you are needing, there is always a bronze Buddha around to rub the head of:
As you may have guessed, I spent some reflection time on all of the ways the Japanese look for blessings, luck, health and mercy....it all seems so ritualistic and you can find it around every street corner.  What rituals do you and I do to 'improve' our luck, blessings, mercy? Why do we do them?  Who do we go to?

Surprises

Here are some things I came across that surprised me as I wandered Tokyo:

A small statue and plaque for a true pioneering hero.  Read her story (click on the picture to make it bigger) and be inspired!

I guess even statues get cold
Guess what this restaurant sold?
If you guessed sushi, you win!
Other surprises included a Rembrandt exhibit at the museum (unfortunately 'Return of the Prodigal Son" was not there....fellow Henri Nouwen readers will get that), a shopping area with a different Tiffany's on three blocks in a row (no, I did not buy anything there...didn't even go in the door), a new appreciation of Japanese bill play art from 1794-1795 (Sharakuhmmmmm...how often does tragedy bring about culture shift?  How severe does it need to be to make the shift permanent?

I think that is enough about Tokyo for now (if you are still reading, thanks for hanging in there).  Have you thought about being a solo tourist?  What I realized is that I tend to head to places where you see people wander on their own (large temple areas, shrines, parks, museums) and avoid many places that cater to families (Disney).  I like the open areas, where it is less obvious that I am alone.  I have learned to look more intently at things and reflect on them, maybe because I am not concerned about what the person I am with wants to do next, etc....I just wander, stop, go, eat, etc. whenever I want.  There is freedom in that...and yet, I would still prefer to have someone to share it with.  Yes, Jeff wonderfully and patiently looks at my pictures and listens to my stories each evening, but it you are free and want to join me sometime.....

Love you all
Linda


1 comment:

  1. Re a tourist in Tokyo. You asked if anyone had been a tourist all alone. Would you? Could you? The answer is both no and yes to both questions. I spent a year in the Arctic at Fort Churchill 50 years ago, away from my family. I was stationed there in the air force, so I was not exactly a tourist, but I did tour the area, what there was of it that was not snow-covered desert, by myself. I kept wishing that Dorothy was there to see it, and God was good - as always - and brought her and our two oldest there for two weeks at Christmas. She goes to Nova Scotia once or twice a year to visit family and sometimes wanders off by herself to see some place where she hasn't been for years. As for the Island(s) of Paulau, they are beautiful and the sea creatures fascinating (if you like sea creatures). Genesis 1:20 reminds us of who created them. It doesn't say what a wonderful time that creation must have been for HIM and nobody has yet seen it all. We enjoyed your visit home, and I know from experience what a thrill to see Sarah walk across the stage to receive her degree. I guarantee that there will be even greater thrills coming. Love you both, Jim

    ReplyDelete